ROCK ISLAND 905 RAILROAD MUSEUM

logo905

314 N. 15th Street
Duncan, OK 73533
Museum: 580.786.4884
Cell: 580.606.0500

ROCK ISLAND 905 RAILROAD MUSEUM

Rock Island 905 Locomotive History

photo1b.jpg ROCK ISLAND 905 LOCOMOTIVE, Fairbury, Nebraska, 1914
(Photo from Rod Wylie Collection, Courtesy of Jim Reisdorff)
photo1a.jpg ROCK ISLAND 905 LOCOMOTIVE pulling a passenger train, Waurika, Oklahoma, mid-1940's
(Photo by Moon Mullins, Rock Island Engineer, from the Ed Birch Collection)
Date Description
July 1, 1910 The ROCK ISLAND 905 LOCOMOTIVE was completed by American Locomotive Company of Schenectady, New York. (Data from Builders Plate.) The locomotive weighed 390,640 pounds, cost $21,000, and was placed in service August 1910. (Duncan Daily Banner article.)
1914 Photographed at Fairbury, Nebraska.(Rod Wylie Collection.)
1923 Casting date indicates the tender was built about 1923.
1928 Casting date indicates the locomotive rear truck frame was replaced.
September 1943 Front and rear driver wheel tires (rims) were replaced. (Stamped on rim.)
May 1947 Center driver wheel tires (rims) were replaced. (Stamped on rim.)
Mid 1940's Photographed at Waurika, Oklahoma. (Rod Wylie Collection.)
1953 Photographed in Blue Island, Illinois at Rock Island Railroad yard.
August 6, 1954 Photographed in Blue Island, Illinois at Rock Island Railroad yard with other Pacific class locomotives.
1954 The locomotive was given to City of Duncan, Oklahoma by Rock Island Railroad.
October 2, 1954 The locomotive arrived at the old train depot located near downtown Duncan, Oklahoma area and several blocks north of Main Street.
December 4, 1954 The locomotive arrived at Fuqua Park in Duncan, Oklahoma. It had been moved along streets on temporary tracks. The move used five sets of track each 30-feet long. (Duncan Daily Banner article.)
1984 Asbestos insulation was partially cleaned up and the locomotive cabin sealed.
June 2, 2000 The City of Duncan discussed the future of the ROCK ISLAND 905 LOCOMOTIVE. Asbestos insulation was leaking; the city didn't want spend additional funds on clean up and considered sale of the locomotive for scrap. By this date, the locomotive was in sad condition. Rust was common, paint was peeling, and a fence blocked close access to the locomotive. (Duncan Banner article.)
June 11, 2001 A "Save the 905" committee was formed to raise money to preserve the locomotive. (Duncan Banner article.)
2004 "Save the 905", Inc., a non-profit organization was created and a contributions drive started.
June 2006 A contribution for "Save the 905" was pledged by McCasland Foundation. (Duncan Banner article.)
2007 A contribution for "Save the 905" was given by Duncan Convention and Visitors Bureau.
May 2007 An evening program in nearby Fuqua Park raised awareness for funding of clean up of the locomotive. The ROCK ISLAND 905 LOCOMOTIVE bell was rung again for the first time in many years. (Duncan Banner article.)
Late 2007 Pipes and equipment were removed from the locomotive to prepare for asbestos removal. (Duncan Banner article.)
February 1, 2008 Tec-An Inc. of Oklahoma City started preparation for asbestos clean up. A temporary tent was built over the locomotive. (Duncan Banner article.)
March 29, 2008 Asbestos clean up was completed. The cleaning cost was $28,375 which was more than the original locomotive cost in 1910. (Lawton Constitution article.)
March to June 2008 Primer and paint were applied to the locomotive after asbestos was removed.
July to November 2008 The locomotive axles were cleaned and lubricated to assure they would turn when the locomotive was moved. Each axle was given attention.
October 12, 2010 Driver cylinders were inspected for rust. The front flange covers were removed.
November 13, 2010 Temporary track laying was started for the locomotive move. (Duncan Banner article.)
December 18, 2010 The first move of the locomotive was made. It would be moved many times before finally positioned in front of the new depot. (Duncan Banner article.)
March 16, 2011 The Missouri Pacific Railroad Caboose 13925 was moved onto track south of ROCK ISLAND 905 RAILROAD MUSEUM. (Duncan Banner article.)
April 2, 2011 A grand opening was celebrated at the ROCK ISLAND 905 RAILROAD MUSEUM. (Duncan Banner article.)
April 2, 2011 The final move: the locomotive was placed into position in front of the depot. (Duncan Banner article.)
Summer 2016 Backhead piping and controls were cleaned, painted, and their positions located and labeled.
March to June 2017 Backhead sheet metal was created, painted, and installed on locomotive. The backhead valves, piping, and controls were installed.
July 2017 to Present Restoration and maintenance continues on the ROCK ISLAND 905 LOCOMOTIVE and at the ROCK ISLAND 905 RAILROAD MUSEUM.